READING Practice Activity
In this task, you have to complete a number of given unfinished sentences using information from the reading text. You are usually asked to write a maximum of three words; the instructions will make this clear.
- understanding paraphrase in the incomplete sentences.
- skimming for general information.
- reading (scanning) for details.
What you should do
- Check the instructions for the number of words required to complete each sentence (usually a maximum of 3).
- Skim through all the incomplete sentences to see what information you are being asked for.
- Look again at the first sentence then skim the text for the relevant section.
- Check the sentence again to decide what specific information you need and locate it in the text.
- The correct answer should fit the incomplete sentence grammatically and not exceed the word limit.
- In some IELTS tests the instructions will say 'using words taken from the text'. Otherwise, you can use your own words or change words to suit the sentence grammatically.