READING Practice Activity
Matching Headings to Paragraphs of Text
For this type of question, you will be given a short list of possible headings and required to match several of them to several paragraphs in the text so they best describe the contents. There will be more headings than paragraphs and you should use them once only.
- Identify the main idea of a paragraph.
- Choose the heading which best paraphrases this idea.
What you should do
- Be sure you know which paragraphs you have to consider (often it's not the whole text).
- Read through the list of paragraph headings.
- Skim read through the first selected paragraph to find out the main idea. Try not to be distracted by details or by unfamiliar vocabulary.
- Choose the heading from the list which best sums up the main point of the paragraph.
- If you cannot choose between two headings, go on to the next paragraph - maybe one will be more suitable for another later. Remember to complete your answers though: guess if you really don't know, as you are not penalised for wrong answers.