READING Practice Activity
In this task, you have to complete a number of given unfinished sentences using information from the reading text. You are usually asked to write a maximum of three words; the instructions will make this clear.
- understanding paraphrase in the incomplete sentences.
- skimming for general information.
- reading (scanning) for details.
What you should do
- Check the instructions for the number of words required to complete each sentence (usually a maximum of 3).
- Skim through all the incomplete sentences to see what information you are being asked for.
- Look again at the first sentence then skim the text for the relevant section.
- Check the sentence again to decide what specific information you need and locate it in the text.
- The correct answer should fit the incomplete sentence grammatically and not exceed the word limit.
- In some IELTS tests the instructions will say 'using words taken from the text'. Otherwise, you can use your own words or change words to suit the sentence grammatically.
Sentence completion task 1 (Mammals)
Sentence completion task 2 (Placebo)