Welcome from HAAL (Hong Kong Association for Applied Linguistics)
HAAL is a professional, non-political organisation of applied linguists working together to promote applied linguistics in Hong Kong. We are actively seeking new members to help us promote applied linguistics and cultivate a culture of sharing and collaboration within the field in Hong Kong.
If you are a professor of English, involved in English language teacher education, a language instructor, or an English language teacher in a primary or secondary school, you will find HAAL to be a worthwhile organisation to be a part of.
This academic year is an exciting year for HAAL as we have partnered with Asia TEFL and MAAL (Macau Association for Applied Linguistics) to organise a conference at the University of Macau. The title of the conference is "English Language Teaching in the Changing Glocalised World: Research and Praxis". This collaboration highlights the growing interconnectedness between Asia countries and the role we can play in the field. As a HAAL member, you will receive a discount off the conference fee. Please visit http://asiatefl2018.medmeeting.org/en and see poster here.
As well as the above benefit, membership of HAAL entitles you to:
• Attendance of at least seven seminars every year;
• Participation in a biennial conference;
• Eligible to apply for grants for overseas conference presentations (for student members);
• Eligible to apply for prestigious awards, including the ‘Fawzia Braine Memorial Award for the Best Journal Article Published by a Novice Scholar’
• Affiliation with MELTA International Association; and
• Participation in an annual social event. See poster here!
The annual membership fee is HK$100. For full-time students, only $50.
Please direct HAAL inquiries to: Mable.Chan@polyu.edu.hk (Mable Chan) or visit our website: http://www.haal.hk. To join HAAL or renew your membership, you can complete the online form at this link.
Hong Kong Association for Applied Linguistics